Saturday, May 16, 2015

The MKIV comes to life again!

I finally got a PSU!  I also got a good fan controller, and I upgraded the cooler on the GPU.  AND! I got a 5.25" bay drive drawer!  It's the handiest little thing ever!

The 800 watt PSU I scored a deal on is a semi-modular model.  Meaning the main ATX power connections are built in, but the rest are optional.  Makes for much easier cable management.  You just plug in the cords you need!


Massive Duel 14cm fans on top for exhaust.  (thermodynamics say heat rises so top exhaust only makes sense)  Every other fan intakes.  Theory is that a positive air pressure in the case helps keep dust build-up down.

 Bay drawer keeps handy stuff tidy and nearby!
The six knobs control six of the 10 fans.

 One SSD with the OS and games installed, one HDD for data and archive.
This is it complete and functioning before the GPU cooler upgrade.

Close up of the internals prior to the GPU cooler upgrade.

Asus Geforce 9800 GT with the stock cooler removed.

 The new cooler and components.

Vram mini-heatsinks and the GPU chip cleaned up 

After applying some Arctic Silver thermal compound the Cooler gets installed.

 The 92mm fan in the card and the card installed in on the MOBO.

Bad close up of the cooler through the side window.

I removed the WIFI card because I wasn't using it and to make more room for this huge cooler.
There is a lot of data here, but the main one is the GPU core temp that maxed at 154.4 degrees F during load.  Unloaded it ran at about 117 degrees.  I had shut down the game I was playing just a few minutes prior to taking this screen shot, thus the 136.4 degree current temp (it was cooling back down)

Here we see it only maxed at 116.6 degrees F (cooler than idle temp with the stock cooler!) and it was cooling down when the screenshot was taken, showing 104 degrees.

The MkIV is running great, I couldn't be happier!  And the GeForce 9800 GT is doing everything I've been asking of it.  I have also been playing Black Mesa with all settings maxed it is flawless.  I would eventually like to upgrade to dual GPUs, probably Radeon HD 7000 series cards, and get a 3.0 Core 2 Quad, and double the RAM.  But for now it's perfect.

End.




No comments:

Post a Comment