Thursday, September 24, 2015

Tools of the Frankenputer workshop.

I use a number of tools when I work on computers. Most of them are actually hand-me-downs from my dad that I use on any number of things.  But here you will find a collection of the tools I recommend getting your meat hooks on if you are going to work on computers.

*IMPORTANT NOTE*  Avoid magnetic tools for use on your PCs.  Magnetized things can do funky things to your hardware so avoid anything magnetic when working on computers.



 I got good set of standard screw-drivers.  These go a long way.  They are simple and do the job right.  These are an 8 piece set of Craftsman I bought on sale at a SEARS that was closing down.  Clear handles are Philips Head and the red handles are Flat Head.  I recommend using the largest screwdriver that fits the head.  This will minimize slipping and lessen damage to the screws and driver.  I use the Phillips on the far left more often than any of the others because most tower screws are a standard Phillips size.

The drivers in this picture are hand-me downs from my dad.  The left one is a 1/4" drive driver and the red is a ratcheting 3/8" drive driver.  In between are sets of Philips, Flat, Torx, and Hex head bits.  The good thing about these bits is the variety and replace-ability.  They're handy as a more compact and portable screw-driver set.
 Their adapters are removable as well and can be replaced when lost, damaged, or worn out.

Close ups of the drivers, the tips, and the adapters.

  

This is a mini set of flat-heads, Torx, Hex, and Philips.  The driver also has a ratcheting feature that comes in handy on those tighter screws.  I use this most when I'm working on laptops.  I scored this set at a NAPA auto-parts store.  Though similar kits can be found online easily.



 Here you can see the difference in size of the 1/4" drive and the mini drive set.
 A close up of all the little bits.
 I also use these socket head drivers for certain PC tower screws that have hex heads.  These are the easiest to use because they don't slip like a how Philips or Flat tend to.  They also hold the screws to them for those hard to reach spaces without being magnetic.  These are more hand-me-down tools.
 Close up of the socket heads.

 I also find myself using these tools every once in a while.   The snips on the left I actually found in a parking lot one day and they were rusted stiff.  Pliers, mini-needle-nose vice-grips, and some needle nose pliers.  The pliers are handy for those snap-on ends that some tower's face-plates use to attach to the front.
I soaked the snips in WD-40, scrubbed them with a steel wire brush, and soaked them again.  Eventually they broke loose, cleaned up and have been a fantastic pair of snips ever since!
 This one is a little unusual and I can't say I use them a lot but they sure come in handy when I do use them.  These are mechanic picks.  Usually used for pulling gaskets or o-rings, or whatever you might need them for.  I sometimes use them on my computers to align mounting holes, to push in or pull our wires, or snap down or disengage clasps like what you find on RAM slots.


A couple of tweezers are a good idea too, they are good for removing and installing jumpers if you need to change a setting on your motherboard without disassembling everything to get to them.  I also have used them to fish out dropped screws.
 I knife always comes in handy.  I keep the small duel-bladed on in the bay drive drawer and I use it often.  I use it to cut open packages of new hardware and to cut the tips off new thermal compound tubes if need be.
 A good flashlight is a must as well.  I have a Maglight XL-200 I use all the time and an old hand-me-down franken-Mini-Mag that has had an LED conversion done to it. 
  Sometimes the XL200 is too bright where the Mini-Mag isn't.

  So those are pretty much the tools of the trade for me.  If you have any other clever ideas let me know, I love buying new tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment